Cleaning and Prevention
Here, at Lesniak Dental Group, we believe in the power of prevention. Depending on your individual needs, we will recommend either quarterly or semi-annual cleanings and biannual or annual examinations. Not only do they help us stave off any dental problems before they arise, but they leave your gums healthier, and your teeth cleaner and whiter. During a professional cleaning we use metal instruments and other specialized tools to remove hard plaque, otherwise known as calculus, that cannot be removed by brushing and flossing alone. It also involves a fluoride treatment, for those that require it, and a polish to help remineralize and further protect your teeth. Even if you haven’t had a cleaning in over two years, it is never too late to treat your teeth.
What are some preventative measures I can take?
- Brush with a fluoride tooth paste
- Use the rule of 2s: Brushing should be done at least 2 times per day and for 2 minutes each time.
- Ask our dental hygienists if you have any questions about proper brushing techniques
- Any over-the-counter toothpaste will work just fine. However, there are specific toothpastes to suit your needs (ie. high cavity rate, stained teeth, sensitive teeth). Please be sure to ask one of our team members if you have any concerns.
- Floss daily before bedtime
- Typically, this should be done prior to brushing
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush after each meal
- The soft bristles protect the gums and still removes plaque from teeth
- Some people may benefit from an electric toothbrush. Please be sure to ask one of our team members if that might be you.
- Use an alcohol-free muoth rinse
- this can help freshen your breath and keep your gums healthier
- Avoid sugar, coffee and smoking
- coffee stains your teeth
- sugar causes decay
- smoking causes bone loss and gum disease